The Florence Forth road race is much more than a race. It’s a chance for the autoimmune encephalitis (AE) community to gather, to meet patients and their families and to join others who have traveled a similar road.
You are part of a team whether you fought autoimmune encephalitis from an isolated hospital room, as a parent caring for a child or as a friend praying and hoping. We are being called to join together to cure autoimmune encephalitis. Now it’s your chance to form a team and fight back.
Last year, individuals and teams participating in Florence Forth raised more than $16,000 to support the Autoimmune Encephalitis Alliance. We were amazed and humbled by this outpouring of support. But we can do so much more.
Our goal this year is $50,000 from team fundraising! We want to raise 40 percent of that goal — $20,000 — by December 2, for Giving Tuesday. Plus we have a head start with over $3,000 raised by nine teams.
Join the Effort
To make it easier to start teams and share your stories, we partnered with CrowdRise. To learn more, we have additional posts on effective team building and how the AE Alliance uses funds to fight AE. And, if you haven’t already, don’t forget to register for Florence Forth on March 7, 2015.
Creating a New Team
Starting a new team is super easy. Whoever starts the new team will be the “team captain”. This should be the person who will be leading the team effort, motivating team members and striving to meet the team’s goal. This person will get notices when someone donates to your team and can provide updates along the way.
To create a team, click the grey “Set Up” button on the right side of the main page. From there select “Start Your Own Fundraiser”. On the next screen, you’ll have the choice to enter:
- Fundraiser Title: You get to choose the name. Something like Team Billy is fairly standard. You may want to get creative and name your team Mikey’s Miracle Milers or Steph’s Super Heroes.
- URL: The default uses your Fundraiser Title. You can change the URL to something else that is available. Make it easy to remember so you can post it in emails and on social media (see below).
- Amount of Money to Raise: This is the goal you want to set for your team. We hope to raise $50,000 from all teams this year. Aim high, but not too high!!
- About Your Fundraiser: Provide a sentence or three on why you are doing this. Who are you raising funds for? Why is this important?
- Upload a Photo: Add a photo to personalize your team. This will show up on the main page for your team and on your team’s home page. This is an optional step but we encourage you to add something here.
- Sign In: At the very end, they’ll ask you to sign in. You may need to create a new account. Don’t forget your username and password. You’ll want to log back in occasionally to update your team page.
Joining an Existing Team
Find your favorite team by scrolling down the main page or if you know the team name but can’t find them, click the “Set Up” button and then select “Join a Team”. Once you’ve found the team, you can do one of two things to join the team:
- “Donate to this Fundraiser” using the big purple button on the top right. If you want to do more than just donate, choose the next option.
- “Fundraise for this Campaign” using the small grey button on the lower right (below the box with % raised of $$ Goal). Using this option, you can help raise funds for your team and track how much you’ve raised.
You’re Ready to Go
Now that you have a team, you’re ready to go. Check back tomorrow for tips on Effective Team Fundraising. And don’t forget to register for Florence Forth — this is a separate process from starting a team.